MACAAL, in partnership with A Million Dots, launched in January 2020, the first program to source and strengthen cultural agents from the contemporary art world in Africa.
MACAAL Bootcamp is an intensive 4-day session to assess and challenge oneself and get empowered by professionals and mentors. Each bootcamp participant is able to think of themselves as part of a professional ecosystem and find their strengths and needs through a series of workshops and masterclasses on core skills.
The Bootcamp create a “class spirit“among its 20 participants thanks to a hybrid format made of training, knowledge building, practical workshops on cultural leadership and management.
At the end of the bootcamp, participants have a roadmap for their future progression and a stronger professional base, as well as a credible professional network to help them draw the outlines of their career:continued training, international mobility, residencies, crossed institutional projects etc.
THE PROGRAM PILLARS
- Sourcing high potential young African professionals and building a Pan African class with professional opportunities
- Structuring the African ecosystem through skills and sustainable know-how
- Helping to create a generation of African professionals, in Africa.
- Equipping cultural structures with empowered and pro-active agents
- Must be currently active(salaried or independant) in contemporary art and/or visual arts
- Must speak English, at least conversationally enough
There is a total of 20 seats open. We offer 15 bursaries to cover the expenses of the expenses of the Bootcamp (1100$/ 1000 Euros per person + travel and stay expenses) based on the level of the applicant and their financial conditions.
- Koyo Kouoh: Founder of Raw Material Company (Dakar), Director of Zeitz MOCAA (Cape Town)
- Touria El Glaoui: Founder of 1-54 African Contemporary Art Fair (New York – London – Marrakech)
- Alya Sebti: Director of IFA Gallery (Berlin), co-Curator of Manifesta 13 (Marseille)
- Meryem Sebti : Co-founder & Editor in Chief, Diptyk Magazine (Casablanca)
- Maria Daif: Consultant in cultural engineering (Casablanca)
- Laila Hida: Founder of Le 18 (Marrakech)
- Teesa Bahana: Director of 32° East Ugandan Arts Trust (Kampala)
- Sabrina Kamili: Cultural activist (Casablanca)
- Andrea Goulet: Consultant, expert in digitization applied to the arts and culture sector (Paris)
- Fatima Ezzahra Bouayad: Senior manager at McKinsey Company (team leadership expert) (Paris)
- Marie-Cécile Zinsou: President of the Zinsou Foundation (Ouidah, Cotonou)
- Meriem Berrada: Head of cultural projects Fondation Alliances (Casablanca) Artistic Director MACAAL (Marrakech)
- Claire Solery: Founder of A Million Dots, Co-Founding Director of We Are Museums (Paris)