The call for applications is closed for 2023. The next call for applications will be announced on MACAAL’s website and on its social networks in early 2024.
Terms of participation:
– The residence is reserved for visual artists (any medium), curators, and researchers.
– Residents must speak at least one of the following languages: English, French, Arabic.
– All candidates must at least 21 years of age.
MACAAL Residence assumes responsibility for:
– round-trip transportation to the residence site
– project financing according to a pre-approved budget
– residence grant award
– work space
– material and staff resources necessary to the implementation of the residence project
– access and introduction to the local cultural scene
The resident commits to:
– procuring an indemnity insurance policy
– following all necessary steps to obtain a tourist visa if so required
– the transfer to the MACAAL collection of a portion of work (artists), or proprietary rights for the product of research (researchers and curators) which has been created in the context of the residence programme
– complete a detailed work report no later than one month (30 days) after the end of residence
Call for applications
Length of residence may vary from one to three months.
Four residents will be selected eather by the MACAAL curatorial team or an invited jury. The exact length of residence will be determined with the MACAAL team.
No application that is incomplete and/or submitted after the deadline date will be considered.
How to apply?
In addition to providing required information, every application must be accompanied by the following documents:
– A curriculum vitae or résumé (1 page, PDF)
– Photocopy of national identity card or passport (PDF)
– ID photo (JPG)
– A project presentation, including budget and completion calendar – maximum 10 pages in PDF format or video (maximum 5 minutes)
– A complete list of all human and material resources required for the implementation of the project (PDF). If applicable, letters of engagement from collaborators and the description of their contribution to the project (maximum 2 pages, PDF format)
– A portfolio of most significant works (maximum 10 pages, PDF). If applicable, press file including articles that might support the residence application (maximum 4 pages, PDF)